Smoke City was an English band, who blended acid jazz and trip hop, borrowing from Brazilian styles such as samba and bossa nova. They are best known for their single "Underwater Love", which was a major hit in 1997, after being used in a Levi's television advertisement, "Mermaids" (directed by Michel Gondry). In 1997, the band released their first album Flying Away, which included several hits like "Underwater Love", "Mr. Gorgeous (and Miss Curvaceous)" and "Águas de Março (Joga Bossa Mix)". Smoke City's next album, Heroes of Nature was released in 2001. An extended version of Heroes of Nature had three more tracks than the original, one of them being a cover version of John Lennon's "Imagine".
"Underwater Love" is also a track on the soundtrack for Thicker Than Water, a surf video.
In 1998, the band contributed "O Cara Lindo (Mr. Gorgeous)" to the AIDS benefit compilation album Onda Sonora: Red Hot + Lisbon produced by the Red Hot Organization.
The group disbanded in 2002.
- Nina Miranda (vocals, fx)
- Mark Brown (programming, turntables, keyboards, percussion, vocals, fx)
- Chris Franck (guitar, keyboards, percussion, bass, vocals)
- Flying Away (1997)
- Heroes of Nature (2001)
- "Underwater Love" (1997) - UK #4,AUS #41, AUT #23, BE-FL #42, BE-WA #33, GER #55, NLD #97, NOR #18, SWE #58, SWI #32
- "Mr. Gorgeous (and Miss Curvaceous)" (1997)
- "Águas de Março" (1998)
- "With You" (1998)
- by Laurent Orseau (Black Session)